Tuesday 15 November 2011

Castle Hill


Sunday - Remembrance Day - was bright and sunny. I decided that the afternoon was too good to be spent walking under the bare or nearly bare trees of Stanmer woods and I opted for the higher ground of the open Downs. My plan was to drive beyond Falmer and head out over the Downs towards Plumpton Plain. I had in mind the glorious solitude I had experienced here back in March, although I have never since recaptured that magical feeling. Nor was I about to do so on Sunday. For a start, the small layby where I park is big enough for three medium-large cars or four small ones. When I arrived it was already full with three largish or large cars. I managed to pull onto the verge 50 yards along the road. I think almost half the population of Brighton had decided to walk that footpath on Sunday afternoon. I have never seen so many people on it. I did enjoy the views - one at the top of this post showing Castle Hill across the valley - but there was little solitude to be had.

No comments:

Post a Comment